Dr. Ata is an Associate Professor at Palestine Polytechnic University in Hebron, working in the department of electrical engineering and a key member in the telecommunications program. He received his B.Sc. (Hon) degree in Electronic Engineering from the University of Hull, UK, the M.Sc. degree and the Ph.D. degree, in Antenna Systems and Microwave Propagation, from the University of Wales, Cardiff, UK.
He joined the University of Wales, Bangor, UK to carry out research funded postdoctoral work in medical Doppler Ultrasound for over three years. He was afterwards appointed as an Assistant Professor at the Dept. of Communications Engineering, Yarmouk University in Jordan. For two years until Dec. 1996, he went as a Visiting Scholar to Victoria University of Technology in Melbourne Australia. He accepted a faculty appointment and was afterwards promoted to Associate Professor at the Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Al-Quds University in Jerusalem between Jan 1997 – Aug 1999. He came to Stanford University (California) , in Sep 1999 , as a Visiting Research Scholar working in the smart antennas research group. He was, then, offered a Principal RF engineer and a senior consultant appointment with SPRINT-Advanced Technology Labs for over five years. On July 1st, 2005, he was appointed as the CTO of an ICT company in Palestine, taking responsibility of three technical departments besides Research and Development.
Since Dr. Ata’s appointment at PPU in Hebron, he was on two short visiting fellowships to Villanova University in USA, during Fall 2011 and Summer 2012, funded by AMIDEAST’s Palestinian Faculty Development Program. Dr, Ata teaches courses in Antennas and Propagation, Microwave Communications, Radar Systems, Electromagnetics and Transmission Line Theory. His research interests are in microwave horn antennas, microstrip antennas, Radio Frequency propagation, In-building penetration loss modelling and measurement, electromagnetic radiation and RF cellular planning.
- ATA, Osama W. and Amro, Ahmad Z. “Design and analysis of two E-shaped microstrip antennas with linear and circular polarizations”, 9th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks & Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), Manchester, IEEE, DOI:10.1109/CSNDSP.2014.6923900, July 23-25, 2014.
- ATA, Osama W. et al, “ An Indoor Propagation Model Based on a Novel Multi Wall Attenuation Loss Formula at Frequencies 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz”, ”, doi:10.1007/s11277-012-0558-x , Wireless Personal Communications Journal, March 2013, Volume 69, Issue 1, pp 23-36 42.
- ATA, Osama W., “ In Building Penetration Loss in Office and Residential Building Structures in Palestine at GSM 900 MHz Frequency”, ”, doi:10.1007/s11277-012-0675-6, Wireless Personal Communications Journal, May 2013, Volume 70, Issue 1, pp 1-14 43.
- ATA, Osama W., “Exposure Level Assessment Study of High Frequency Radiation from Hebron Two-Way Radio Tower”, The Third International Conference on Energy and Environmental Protection in Sustainable Development ( ICEEP III), Palestine Polytechnic University, Hebron, October 9-10, 2013, pp. 1-8.
- ATA, Osama W. et al, “Automobile License detection System and Impact on Environment and Improvement of Human Life Quality”, The Third International Conference on Energy and Environmental Protection in Sustainable Development ( ICEEP III), Palestine Polytechnic University, Hebron, October 9-10, 2013, pp. 1-15.
- ATA, Osama W., Al-AMLEH, Nemer, “Application of MIMO Smart Antennas into WiMAX-OFDM System in Real Fading IEEE Standardized Channels”, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2012 Vol II, WCECS 2012, October 24-26, 2012, San Francisco, USA, pp. 960-966.
- ATA, Osama W., “Multi-Carrier CDMA BTS Power amplifiers and their design considerations. “,World Telecommunications Symposium, Prague, Czech Republic, April 22-24, 2009.
- ATA, OSAMA W. ,“The Radio Frequency University Curriculum Management Process from a Carrier Service Provider’s Perspective”, 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol 3B, 0-7803-8883 6/05/$20.00 ©2005 IEEE, 3-8 July 2005, pp. 138 – 141.
- ATA, O.W. "Two-tone and Nine-tone excitations in future adaptive predistorted linearised basestation amplifiers of cellular radio", Wireless Personal Communications (International Journal), KLUWERS PUNS., Vol 16, No 1, Jan 2001, pp 1-19.
- ATA, O.W., BENSON, T.M., and MARINCIC, A.S.: “ An E-plane sectoral horn fitted with sidelobe suppression devices”, Int. Jr. of Numerical Modeling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, vol 6, 1993, pp. 145 - 159.
- ATA, O.W. and FISH, P.J.: “ The effect of deviation from plane wave conditions on the Doppler spectrum from the ultrasonic blood flow detector.”, Ultrasonics, vol 29, no 5, 1991 pp 395-403.
- ATA, O.W., BENSON, T.M. and MARINCIC, A.S.: “ Application of optical ray technique to the design of short microwave horn antennas with low side-lobe levels.”. IEE Proceedings, vol 137, pt. H, no 2, April 1990, pp. 81-88.